The BackPack Program is designed to meet the needs of hungry children at times when other resources are not available, especially on weekends. Each school’s administration selects eligible children, and then a backpack filled with six to eight pounds of nutritious, kid-friendly food is sent home with them each Friday. Volunteer Packing Partners fill the backpacks each week. Launched in 2006 with just two schools, the BackPack Program has grown to serve more than 2,300 children weekly in 78 schools across 16 counties.
- In North Central Indiana, one in every five children struggles with hunger.
- Even mild malnutrition can affect a child’s ability to learn.
- Fifty percent of people served at local food pantries are children.
- Food Finders supports the BackPack Program at 78 sites in 16 counties.
- The BackPack Program is currently serving more than 2,300 children.
- Over 101,000 backpacks were distributed in the 2018 – 2019 school year.
- Just $7 each week provides healthy food for a child in need or $252 to feed a child for an entire year.
Are you interested in starting a BackPack Program at your school?
Please call Food Finders and set up an appointment to talk with our Programs Staff and find out how to get started. 765.471.0062