1. Set up a donation box. Get crafty and make your own food donation box — all you need is a sturdy cardboard box and some craft supplies. Make sure to check out this list of items that food banks need the most. Then in the weeks leading up to the holidays, encourage your family to slowly fill the box.
2. Make a difference online. There are lots of ways that you can help people facing hunger from the comfort of your own laptop. Beth Moncel from Budget Bytes recently gave Feeding America some great ideas – from fundraising on Facebook to posting photos of a volunteer event – your actions will inspire friends and family to join you in the fight against hunger. Check out Beth’s suggestions.
3. Know the need. Across North Central Indiana, Food Finders is working to address the specific needs in our community. From grocery deliveries at senior centers to fun programs for kids in need, there’s a program out there that is waiting for your help. Contact Food Finders to get involved in helping our community.
4. Teach the next generation about hunger. The holidays require extra time to pause and be thankful for everything you have. Help children learn to be grateful and grow empathy for others by teaching them about children who are facing hunger. This handy guide will get you started.
5. Give a gift with meaning. We can’t ignore that this is the season for giving, and often that results in an endless search of gifts for loved ones. This year consider donating to Food Finders in honor of your friends and family. You will be spreading the love twice as far by giving meals to families who are in need and giving your loved one a meaningful gift. Give a gift today.
6. Express your gratitude. It’s important during this busy time of year to pause, reflect and share what you are grateful for. Post a note telling us what you are thankful for this season. Frye will donate 10 meals for every message posted up to 100,000 meals. Post your note now.
7. Volunteer! Grow your heart three sizes this year by giving just a few hours of your time. It won’t cost you anything, but the feeling of helping your neighbors in need during the holiday season is priceless. Sign up to volunteer today.
For more family friendly ways to fight hunger, check out Feeding America’s Hungry to Help Family Action Plan. Together, we can make this the season to end hunger.